Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Six sure fire tips for growing Juniper Bonsai

Juniper_Bonsai_Tree
So why some bonsai trees are growing to be quite amazing while others just dying? I have discovered these secrets while reading the “Bonsai Gardening Guide”. And guess what – it really works. My guests are always so impressed when they see my wonderful Bonsai trees, that they are sure I have hired a professional gardener. Well, I most certainly not, and I promise you that following these six basic rules will make your bonsai tree grow amazingly just like mine:
1. Location. So where should you place your bonsai?
Like you and I, the Juniper cannot grow without sunlight and fresh air, so please place it outside. Junipers with scale-like foliage should get the afternoon shade. It withstands the cold winter, but for subzero temperatures, you should move it into your porch, where it will get the sunlight. When your bonsai is indoors, it should avoid heaters and air conditioners. Of course, as the temperature is getting better, you should return it outside.
2. Water. How much my Juniper should drink?
Like most bonsai beginners, I used to over-water my plant until it died…So you should stick to the rule that says the soil should be dry on top, but when checking inside with your finger, you should feel the moisture. This is the time to water your plant. I water it twice a week, but of course it depends on your climate. You should water it gradually, meaning water it, wait a few minutes until the water has reached the roots, then water it again. A different way of watering is setting the pot in water for half an hour, thus saturating the soil.
3. Insects. Which of them you should fight?
Since mites can harm your bonsai like any other plant, you should spray all your plants monthly using appropriate insecticide.
4. Pruning. When and where should I cut?
Growing Juniper Bonsai is an art, and you are the artist, meaning you will determine the final outcome, and you should take action for it rather than standing still watching your plant grows. Pinching out is compulsory for maintain their miniature look, but the branches should have some foliage for keeping them alive. Foliage pads should be pinched out in late spring, especially near massive growth areas. Wiring is another technique of forming a bonsai.
5. Fertilizing. How do I keep my plant small but healthy?
Well, proportionality is the name of the game. Give your bonsai solution of high nitrogen fertilizer only once every a month and a half on spring months only. During summer, feed it with low nitrogen fertilizer. This would keep it healthy yet small.
6. Repotting.
This one is very important. Every two years, on June, I repot my Juniper. First I’m looking for rooted roots. If I find some, I cut them out, and plant my Juniper in moss with anti-bacterial properties that can stop the root rotting.

These tips were most helpful for me, as you can see in my blooming garden of bonsai trees. All of this and much more I have learned from the stunning Juniper Bonsai Guide.

2 comments:

  1. The more adventurous can try planting a redwood or sequioa tree, and growing it as a bonsai. Now how would the biggest species of tree fare as a bonsai? I think that will be interesting to try.
    bonsai tree

    ReplyDelete
  2. We at EZGarden.com have recently launched an affiliate program that may be of interest to you. This program can help you to build a steadily growing, passive income stream, while also providing a benefit to those who visit your website by providing assistance with growing organic vegetables in home gardens. You can read more about it at www.ezgarden.com/partners.

    Bounty and blessings!
    Mariah Charbonneau

    ReplyDelete